Sunday, November 3, 2013

I've been transformed...

I walked through the doorway of the Babies Home and gazed around the sun-lit room.  I scanned the sea of exuberant children with beautiful, nearly-bald heads and bold, glowing smiles.  I could not wait any longer to see my sweet girl again.  It had been months since my last visit and seeing her was the first thing on my mind.

Moments later our eyes met and Maselina ran to me with a smile plastered across her pretty little face.  Joy flooded my heart as I hugged her and kissed her sweet, chocolate cheek.  My heart was nearly overwhelmed by the love I had for her in that moment.  For years I had been praying for her, that God would raise her above her circumstances and transform her into a strong, grounded believer who experienced and knew His everlasting love for her.

The last time I saw her was fifteen months prior.  She was quiet, shy, and wanted nothing to do with me.  But this time was different.  This time she craved my love and affection and there was nothing that would stop me from trying to meet that need.  My heart longed to show her how much I love her. For hours we played pat-a-cake, made funny faces at my camera, giggled at our pictures, and cuddled on the lawn.  My heart was full.

The way I felt in those few hours, I imagine, is how God feels about us.  He loves when His children run to Him.  It doesn't matter the time or situation.  His arms are outstretched wide whether we are distressed or hopeful, tearful or thankful, in despair or triumph.  He takes us as we are and becomes all that we need.

“The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness." Zeph. 3:17

When I saw Maselina in July of 2012, I saw a timid and distrustful little girl that was struggling to understand my interest in her.  She had built-up walls that I could not penetrate.  I saw pain and despair in her eyes.
I saw myself.
Several years back I had been struggling to understand God's love for me.
I could not comprehend the Creator of the world wanting to know me. 
There I was, face to face with Maselina, so much common ground mending the two of us together.  We were both hurt and afraid.
I prayed regularly for my sweet, little friend.  I prayed that God would permeate her heart and love her back to life.

I returned to see Maselina in October of 2013.  No longer did I see pain and rejection.  God had answered my prayers to reveal a hopeful, joyous spirit within her.  He had rescued Maselina just as He had rescued me.  He loved us and restored our hearts to Himself.  Our hearts, futures, and lives were changed. 
Scripture says that God never changes. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8. 

I am thankful for that.
And I am thankful that we DO change because of His love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment